Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A Half Century

On the eve of turning 50, I signed up for a basic metalworking class. I have been working with metal as I develop my skills as a jewelry artisan, but I want an expert to teach me things that otherwise might take a long time to learn on my own.

I have been a painter for many years, and am mostly self-taught. While I believe there is great merit in learning through trial and error -- especially if one is as stubborn as I am -- I also know that simple skills learned from an expert can save valuable time. Perhaps it is because I am nearing a half century that I am particularly aware of the passage of time.

One of the skills I have learned in the past year since I began selling my jewelry (as opposed to keeping it for myself or giving it away to friends and family members) is how to photograph jewelry and work with photo software to create the best images possible for my online store, mebdesigns.etsy.com. The other skill is learning how to navigate the internet and use it as best as possible to promote my shop.

I love the fact that this past year has involved a lot of learning. With the new metalworking class, I hope my 50th year will involve even more growth, learning and development.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I agree your photos are really good. I followed here from the blog post in the Etsy forums. :)
Sounds like your very wise with your learning time, something I could do better with. :)

MEBDesigns said...

Thanks for being my very first "commenter", Melissa. Remember to always take one step at a time (unless you're impatient like me when I keep leaping ahead!).

Anonymous said...

My dear Mary,
Happy half a century! I have loved reading your blogs. It makes me miss you more AND less, as I get to hear a little bit about your life now. Your beautiful jewelry never fails to draw comments every time I wear it and now I get praise about the one I wear made by your darling Thai apprentice. You are so right about her talents... A big, big hug and besos.