Tuesday, June 5, 2007

A Giant Stride Forward


I made my first clasp today, designed to go with a specific necklace I created to highlight a most luscious translucent smoky quartz nugget. I knew I wanted an adjustable necklace -- because I love the convenience of going longer or shorter depending on the outfit -- so I knew it had to be an s-hook clasp. S-hooks, because of their versatility, and because they are used so widely by ancient silversmithing cultures, are my favorite kind of clasp.

The silversmithing class I took enabled me to figure out many things that had remained rather murky and mysterious despite how much I read about the process, in metalworking books, on the ever-helpful etsy forums, catalogs and the like. I enjoy tremendously the extra control I have over the ultimate design of my jewelry with the knowledge I've gained. I made another special clasp for a very special necklace I was commissioned to create (see photo below) and, right now in my tumbler upstairs, is the third clasp of the day, which is for a three-strand necklace.

My head is bursting with ideas for more jewelry design projects. I can't wait to see what I can do with my newfound skills!

No comments: