Sunday, June 17, 2007

My Father


My father is one of the most wonderful men I have ever known. This is his story. He was born in Colorado Springs, Colorado in 1926 to a working class family. He lost his mother when he was a toddler, after she gave birth to his little sister. His father died from tuberculosis not long after. He and his little sister were raised by his grandmother, in a converted chicken coop on the property of relatives. His grandmother was a hard woman not averse to taking a *switch* from the peach tree outside to give these *no 'count young'uns* a good thrashing.

This harsh environment forged a young man with a good brain, a big heart, and great strength of character. The first in his family to go to college, there he fell in love with the beautiful, dark-eyed classics professor, who would later become his wife and my mother. From college he went on to Yale Law School, an unimaginable accomplishment given his background.

He went on to work as a lawyer in Denver, but never forgot those who were less fortunate. Walking to work, he would encounter someone begging for money to *buy food*. Knowing what the money would probably go for, but seeing the need for nourishment, my father would instead take the time to buy some food for the unfortunate individual. He also turned his talents and good will to help the community at large, by serving on the school board, by volunteering his time and efforts for organizations aimed at ensuring our nation lived up to its promise to all citizens.

Several years ago, his dark-eyed bride was diagnosed with Alzheimers'. His wife/my mother is very frail now, thoughts of Homer long vanished, incontinent at times, and often not recognizing the man she wed over 50 years ago. He is her sole caregiver since my sister and I live far away. He tends to her with enormous patience, keeping the photo of her as a beautiful young woman at hand to keep in mind always his love and commitment during these tremendously difficult times. Although my sister and I aren't there, he is surrounded by friends and neighbors who cherish his friendship, admire his fortitude, and enjoy his company.

My wonderful father: devoted husband, cherished friend, talented orator, generous spirit, committed, strong, funny, remarkable. I love you, dad, and feel tremendously fortunate to be your daughter!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful man. I hope he gets a chance to see this!

treasurefield said...

That is so beautiful it brings tears to my eyes!
The fact that you're able to see and appreciate your father's spirit shows that it lives in you, too!
Blessings, alisa
http://treasurefield.blogspot.com