Monday, June 4, 2007

Waiting, waiting: I'm not good at waiting!



Okay, so the supplies I ordered and wrote about in the last post did not arrive by Saturday night, so I knew I would spend Sunday without them. That's okay: I had lots to do with my family around. But, I was relieved on Monday morning, while checking the UPS locator service, that my little parcel had left Chantilly, VA, near Dulles Airport, therefore not far away at all, at 3:48 a.m. They were on their way!


So, I spent the morning eagerly anticipating the UPS truck. Well, I said to myself, I'll eat lunch and surely it will be here by then. Lunch made, eaten, dishes cleaned....no UPS truck. Okay, I'll go back up to my studio and take my mind off the whole thing and just work. Which I did.


I made three necklaces (one of which I cannot show as it is for someone who might see it!) but came to a screeching halt in finishing them as I would really like to make the clasps, using my newfound knowledge, and even perhaps the chain for making them adjustable lengths.


A clasp is an essential component for any necklace. It is much more than merely a means to fasten together the strands; it can tie the whole thing together visually as well. Taking a necklace to a bead store, or opening up a catalog, is a crapshoot. Occasionally, one finds that perfect clasp, that fits beautifully in with the design and artfully adds its own touch. Mostly, however, one has to settle for second best. I hope that my knowledge and skills will allow me to design the perfect clasp for my necklace, adding immensely to the beauty and value of the piece, not to mention my pride in it.


So, three necklaces.....no materials for making clasps. Okay, it's 5:00, and I need to get started on dinner anyway, so I'll quit for the day. The minute I quit, well, you know what happens: the doorbell rings and the box is there. At least there is tomorrow!

No comments: